5.25.2010

Service Above Self

I was honored to speak for the KCI Rotary Club last Wednesday at the KCI Convention Center ballroom!  

After visiting and enjoying a wonderful lunch, I was welcomed with open arms to present my speech.  During this time, I explained what the Miss Missouri Organization is all about and what it means to me. Twenty minutes quickly passed and I offered the smiling faces a chance to ask some questions.  Little did I know, but they were very intrigued by what I had to say! They asked several questions and eventually it turned into an interview type setting.
They asked everything from the differences between Miss USA and Miss America to the 7 year old Beyonce video on youtube!  They were definitely a fun group to speak with and I felt that I formed several connections with the members.

During the meeting, I was also able to gain new information about rotarians.  This particular Rotary Club has been focusing on ways that they can allow community members to benefit from their services.  They have recently provided several large scholarships to high school seniors in nearby schools.  It was a great feeling to know that I was in the presence of others who enjoy community service as much as I do.  
As the meeting came to an end I had a chance to individually speak with several of the members.  Some members asking me to speak at other events and other members that still had several questions.  One spunky Rotarian came to me and told me that my shoes were "rockin' awesome" and was in awe with the crown.  All she wanted to do was touch the crown, and believe me, she got her opportunity!

By sitting in a meeting with a group of people, you begin to learn a lot about each of them.  This was a wonderful group of Rotarians and I could tell that their fun loving attitudes are what help to make them such a positive club.  There was a wide range of diversity within this club and I feel that I walked away with several new friends.

"Friendship is a natural and willing servant...There is no reason...why the great power of friendship should not be harnessed to do its part in the world's work."
-Report of the President, 1912 Rotary Convention, MN, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment