4.08.2010

It's all about the service!

It has been a busy past few weeks and I have loved every minute of it!

On the 25th, I left town for Warrensburg to interview for the Charno Award (Outstanding UCM Female).  It is incredible how much I have gained from the Miss America Organization.  Words cannot explain how grateful I am for all of the help I have received from MAO volunteers.  The interview went well and they will award the winner on April 15th.  The next day, I was welcomed back into the Warrensburg School District to speak about setting goals and getting motivated.
My first visit was at South East Elementary School where I spoke to classes of kindergartners.

This little girl asked me how I sleep with the crown on my head! How cute!
They had several good questions!
I had a blast with all of the students! A huge thank you goes out to all of the cooperating teachers and parents at the book fair.  My next stop was at Sterling Elementary School where I spoke to 4th and 5th grade students.  Here, I was able to speak about the importance of setting goals for the MAP test.  Mattie Elliott, Miss Greater Kansas City Outstanding Teen, was even able to join me! 

Speaking to Mrs. Schueller's 5th graders

After speaking with many of the students in the Warrensburg School District, my travels took me to Mexico, Missouri for Miss Missouri 2010 Orientation.  It was wonderful to see my Miss Missouri family and meet all of the new additions.  I also got a chance to take my Miss Missouri little sister, Kayla, out for ice cream.
I could not believe how much she has grown up over the past few years.  Kayla is almost taller than I am!  Her personality is adorable and I always love  visiting her and the Scobee family.












More updates from orientation: I am contestant number 4 in the Sigma group!  I will be performing my talent on Wednesday night's competition, evening gown and onstage question on Thursday and swimsuit on Friday, June 11.  This is going to be an amazing year, as it is the 40th anniversary of Miss Missouri in Mexico! 


More surprises to come!! 














The following week I participated in the Mix 4 Kids Radiothon in Kansas City! The Radiothon was held at the Mix 93.3 studio in Westport, Missouri on March 30th and 31st.  It was definitely hard work, but we raised over $400,000.00 for Children's Mercy Hospital and KU Medical Center.  This past year the importance of Children's Miracle Network has truly made it's way into my heart.  I began the first day of the Radiothon as a "KC celebrity" on a Street Team! Other volunteers and I were sent out to the corners of Kansas City to collect donations during busy traffic times.  Believe me, it was definitely scary at first, but I got used to running in and out of moving traffic. 
The second day of the Radiothon brought much more excitement! We were blessed with large and matching donations from companies in the Kansas City area.  Once again, I joined the Street Teams and hit the busiest corners! (Yes, this was an ongoing joke throughout the event!)

After collecting over $3,000.00 on the streets I made my way back to the Mix 93.3 studio.  

At the studio I spoke live on air with Ponch, Dave-o, Jenny Matthews and Steve Sorano.  I educated the listeners on the ties between the Miss America Organization and Children's Miracle Network.  I also encouraged them to donate and explained the importance of improving a child's life.


Steve Sorano, Jenny Matthews, Me, Dave-o, and Ponch at the Mix 93.3 studios

Service is the rent we pay for living. it is the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time.
marian wright edelman


No comments:

Post a Comment